The Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering (ChEE), Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology (MJIIT), successfully organized the 1st International Conference on Sustainable Chemical, Energy and Environmental Engineering 2023 (SCE3 2023) on 8th and 9th March 2023 at Ibis Hotel KLCC.
The conference is co-organized by the University of Tsukuba, Japan, and the Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic. The conference was conducted in a hybrid mode and officiated by Prof. Ts. Dr. Abd Latif Saleh (Pro-Vice-Chancellor UTM Kuala Lumpur). Prof. Dr. Maki Tsujimura, the Director of the Branch Campus Preparation Office of the University of Tsukuba, also attended the conference.
This is a new conference series spearheaded by the department. The conference is aimed to address Sustainable Development Goals through research breakthroughs in chemical, energy and environmental engineering. The ChEE department’s international and industrial linkages are expected to be enhanced through organizing this conference series while promoting the research talents in the department.
The conference is jointly organized with the University of Tsukuba-MJIIT Joint Seminar as part of the curriculum of the Master of Sustainable & Environmental Science (a joint degree with the University of Tsukuba). The conference has 92 participants with an acceptance rate of 67%, of which 66 are physical participants. The conference hosted a total of 98 presentations, including ten invited speeches.
The conference has participants from various countries, including Malaysia, Japan, Indonesia, Oman, Cambodia and Thailand. It was also participated by industrial speakers from Petronas GTS, SIRIM, Malaysian Palm Oil Board and Malaysian Nuclear Agency. A total of 10 invited speeches during the conference from top universities, government and industries, which includes:
- Prof. Dr. Jerry Y.Y. Heng (Imperial College London, United Kingdom) – Plenary Speaker
- Prof. Dr. Ali Abbas (University of Sydney, Australia) – Plenary Speaker
- Prof. Dr. Yasuki Kansha (University of Tokyo, Japan) – Plenary Speaker
- Dr. Badarulhisam Abdul Rahman (Pharmaniaga Bhd.) – Industrial Plenary Speaker
- Mr Paul Sanda (AUSTRADE) – Industrial Plenary Speaker
- Ir. Ts. Hj. Mohamed Haniffa bin Hj. Abdul Hamid (Malaysia Water Association) – Keynote Speaker
- Prof. Ir. Dr. Dominic C.Y. Foo (University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus) – Keynote Speaker
- Prof. Dr. Guillermo R. Castro (Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina) – Keynote Speaker
- Prof. Dr. Petar Varbanov (Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic) – Keynote Speaker
- Mr. Mike Suzuki (Azbil Corporation) – Keynote Speaker
The conference included a free pre-conference workshop run by the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association, entitled “Improving Energy Efficiency to achieve CO2 reduction by using RENKEI Control”. It was attended by about 45 researchers, industrial players, and students.
Conference committee with Prof. Jerry and Prof. Ali
Conference committee members