Dr Wan Mohd Zakri bin Wan Abdullah, a Senior Lecturer from the Faculty of Built Environment and Surveying (FABU) made the university proud by bagging one gold (long jump senior veteran category) and one bronze (high jump senior veteran category) in the recently concluded National MAKSAK Athletics Tournament 2019 which was held at the MSN Mini Stadium, Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur from 19-22 December 2019.
Together with 29 other athletes from various government agencies that represented Johor in this tournament, Dr Wan Zakri displayed a spirited and highly acclaimed performance that allowed him to beat all his competitors, notably in the Long Jump event.
Apart from Dr Wan Zakri, a total of 6 other UTM staff also represented Johor in various events in the tournament namely:
1) Shaliza Md Yusos (PSZ) – shot putt (Open)
2) Rohayah Dahar (CICT) – shot putt, javelin & 4x100m (Senior veteran)
3) Aznorsam Salleh (HEPA) – 1500m, medley relay (Junior veteran)
4) Zulaiha Uni Haron (USE) – 1500m (Open)
5) Mohammad Zaim Hashim – 800m, 1500m, 4x400m, medley relay (Open)
6) Assoc. Prof Dr Zainul Akmar Zakaria – 100m, 4x100m (Junior veteran)
All UTM staff had recorded commendable timing or distance which were either their own Personal Best or Best Performance this year.
For the record, Angkatan Tentera Malaysia (ATM) again emerged as the overall winner for this year’s tournament owing largely to the huge number of national athletes present in their ranks.
Congratulations UTM athletes!