KL (Kuala Lumpur) GeoHydro 2023 was organized by the International Federation of Surveyors (FIG), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), and Association of Authorised Land Surveyors Malaysia (PEJUTA) with the aim to provide an exposure to the practicing hydrographers and land surveyors to the current research, tools and practices in hydrography industry.
KL GeoHydro highly encourages the exchange of practical hydrographic technologies and experiences hence to review the current trends in hydrographic education, practice, research and development. The organizing committee also provides a forum to expose the audience into the problems of the practical applications of the maritime industry.
The event commenced with a welcoming speech by the chairman of KL GeoHydro 2023, Professor Sr Dr. Mohd Razali Mahmud, and the opening of the event was officiated by the Director General of Hydrography, National Hydrographic Centre, Royal Malaysian Navy, Rear Admiral Dato’ Hanafiah Hassan.
There are six (6) keynote sessions:
- Rear Admiral Dato’ Hanafiah Hassan (Director General of Hydrography, National Hydrographic Centre, Royal Malaysian Navy)
- Sr. Hazri Hassan (Deputy Director General of Survey and Mapping II, Department of Survey and Mapping Malaysia (JUPEM))
- Gs. Azlikamil Napiah (Director General Malaysian Space Agency (MYSA), Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation)
- Dr. M.D.E.K Gunathilaka from Sri Lanka (Chair of FIG Commission 4)
- Captain Mohamad Halim Ahmed (Director General of Marine, Malaysia Marine Department)
- Sr Dr. Khamarrul Azahari Razak (Director of Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Center, Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia)
15 technical talks, 3 industry talks and 11 exhibitions among them is Hidrokinetik Group, IGS Network (M) SDN BHD, National Hydrographic Centre, Sea and Land Technologies PTE LTD and many companies more. A total of 250 participants joined this event as well as 60 matriculation students from Selangor and Negeri Sembilan.
The award giving and closing ceremony were made by the President of the Association of Authorised Land Surveyors Malaysia (PEJUTA) – Sr. Mohd Hanifa K Abd Hamid on the second day of KL GeoHydro 2023 at Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur.
Hoping that in future there will be more event like this, more students can participate and get the knowledge as well. UTM will create more Young Surveyors that succeed.
Overall, it is great event with an international participation that more events like this will be held in the future so that more students can go and learn as well. More successful young surveyors will be produced by UTM.
In conclusion, it is hoped that the KL GeoHydro international event might promote UTM involvement and form a cooperative connection and have an impact on the future of learning and teaching in the discipline of hydrographic surveying.