A virtual Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signing ceremony between Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and University of York, United Kingdom, was held on 5th October 2020. The MoU was signed by Professor Chemist Dr. Abdull Rahim Mohd Yusoff, Dean of the Faculty of Science, UTM and Professor Dr. Brian Fulton, Dean of the Faculty of Sciences, University of York. The MoU was also witnessed by Dr. Chong Chun Shiong from UTM and Professor Dr. Neil Bruce from University of York.
Attending the virtual signing ceremony were:
(University of York, UK)
1. Professor Dr. Brian Fulton (Dean of the Faculty of Sciences)
2. Professor Dr. Neil Bruce (Director of Centre for Novel Agricultural Products, Faculty of Sciences)
3. Professor Dr. Sarah Thompson (Associate Dean Research, Faculty of Sciences)
4. Professor Dr. James Moir (Head of Department Biology, Faculty of Sciences)
5. Mr. Edward Green (Global Partnerships Officer)
(Universiti Teknologi Malaysia)
1. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohd Ariffin Abu Hassan (Associate Director Global Education & Experience, UTM International)
2. Professor Chemist Dr. Abdull Rahim Mohd Yusoff (Dean, Faculty of Science)
3. Prof. Dr. Fadhilah Yusof (Deputy Dean: Academic & Student Affairs, Faculty of Science)
4. Dr. Ezza Syuhada Sazali (Assistant Dean: External & Global Engagements)
5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Shafinaz Shahir (Director of Biosciences Department, Faculty of Science)
6. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Goh Kian Mau (Biosciences Department, Faculty of Science)
7. Dr. Adibah Yahya (Biosciences Department, Faculty of Science)
8. Dr. Chong Chun Shiong (Biosciences Department, Faculty of Science)
9. Chemist Dr. Sheela Chandren as emcee of the ceremony (Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science)
The MoU was initiated by Dr. Chong and Prof. Bruce as a result of their previous research and collaboration supported by Newton Fund projects (Co-investigators: Prof. Dr. Simon McQueen-Mason, Prof. Datin Dr. Zaharah Ibrahim, Prof. Dr. Lindsay C. Stringer, Prof. Dr. Zainura Zainon Noor, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Madihah Md Salleh, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Goh Kian Mau, Dr. Deborah Rathbone, and Dr. Adibah Yahya).
The overarching aim of the MoU is to enable both institutions to work together to develop strong links in science. With the signed MoU, both institutions will continue to explore further opportunities for joint programmes of research; explore chances for research in other natural or physical sciences; seek potential bids for funding, exchange academic staff and early career researchers, and explore interdisciplinary opportunities to identify research themes.
Both institutions would like to express their gratitude to all the parties involved in ensuring this virtual MoU signing ceremony runs successfully.
Prepared by: Dr. Chong Chun Shiong
Dr. Siti Pauliena Mohd Bohari